Tons on my mind today, so I’m going to try and make this somewhat organized. If you’ve ever seen my desk at work you know this is a difficult task for me. I like to call it organized chaos. I know where everything is, but I don’t recommend anyone else trying to find things. Without further rambling, here goes:
- BILLS, BILLS, BILLS (and not the football kind): Writing checks has become a daily occurrence since buying the house. Does this give anyone else anxiety?!? It seems I’m writing away each paycheck before I even receive it. I know, I know everyone worries about money and I count my blessings that Ry and I were even able to buy a house. That’s the American Dream, right? Well, this dream is really freaking expensive. Sometimes I wonder if we were better off in our apartment paying a whole lot less money each month or if I should find a more lucrative job. My paychecks come from a nonprofit… need I say more?
- Puppy Love?: Ryan has been begging me to get a dog since the second we moved into the house. I pleaded with him to at least wait until Spring when we could see our grass again. No such luck. SheWhoHasNotBeenNamed is a husky mix and will arrive this Friday night from her foster home in South Carolina. What
the Hellare we getting into??
- Self Reflection on an Angsty Teen: I recently dug up my old LiveJournal password and read all entries circa 2004-2005 and had a pretty great laugh at myself. I thought everyone either hated me or was a dirty skank. No joke; I used the word “skank” in probably 50% of my posts. This is highly amusing to me because I can’t remember the last time I actually used that word in real life. Probably around 2005. Maybe my next post will feature some original works from my teenage years. I bet you’d get a kick out of them.
- Pole Fitness: This week Mel and I will be graduating from our beginners’ class and transitioning to a mixed-level group. We’re both feeling a little nervous about it and hope we aren’t that much worse than the other girls. We are also supposed to bring a song around 3 minutes in length that we can put moves together to in order to make pole a cardio workout as well as strength. I have NO idea what song I want. I’m thinking something by Metric, Lykke Li, or Lana Del Rey. It has to be something that makes me want to move. Only two more days to figure it out. Gahhh!
- The Foodie Life: Lately I have been pretty bored with my go-to recipes and my dad made this fantastic butternut squash last week when I was visiting. I liked it so much I couldn’t wait to go grocery shopping Monday to pick up some ingredients. I made a huge batch, as per usual since I don’t know how to cook for two, and can’t wait to have some with lunch tomorrow! Next up, the recipe and some pictures that will make you drool. Disclaimer: since I don’t measure a damn thing when I cook, all quantities are estimated.
Cranberry Cinnamon Butternut Squash
- 1 butternut squash halved, gutted, and cubed
- 3 tbsp vegetable/canola oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss butternut squash cubes in oil then add dry ingredients and cranberries. Roast in the oven 45-50 minutes or until desired tenderness. Voila! We had ours with smoked pork chops. Deeeelicious!!
What’s on your mind this hump day?